Sunday, September 20, 2009

Not just spirals anymore


In my investigation of spirals I came across the work of Katherine Procter. I enjoy the way she used many spirals put together creating an image of overlapping spirals of different sizes. It was an idea that I had not thought of doing.



In the past few weeks I have been using spirals for the basis of my designs and recently in a conversation they were referred to as concentric circles. I had an idea of what this meant so just to verify it I looked up images. Not only was this design concentric circles, but also another form I had used several times in the past that was based on a ziggurat. This got me thinking that the spiral is a bit of a narrow subject and I should use the idea of concentric circles as the jumping off point for my work. Although with a bowl I found that it could be difficult to incorporate this idea of the ziggurat so I started to think of seating in amphitheaters which more or less are an inverted ziggurat. Thinking about this has opened a whole new realm of ideas for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment